Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stinky Tofu

Yesterday for the first time in my life, I tried "Chou Tofu", which also means Stinky Tofu. It's a very popular and famous street snack in Taiwan and while many love it, many also disliked it.

I had always wanted to try it because I was curious. Is the taste really that overbearing? I don't find the smell stinky at all, it smells like fried tofu -and I like fried tofu. Haha.

Mum didn't dare to try it everytime we passed by stalls selling this, so I didn't get the chance before.

And so yesterday when we passed by a stall in foodexpo that sells it, I asked SX if he wants to try. He said okay so afew minutes later we are eating freshly fried stinky tofu!

It tasted like.....








A normal piece of tried tofu topped with sauce.

I don't believe it! The one I ate must be fake product. How could a normal-tasting tofu be such a popular dish!! I had expected it to be super sour/super salty.

:(
Nevermind next time if I have a chance to go to Taiwan I'll try it again!



After that we proceeded to buy several food back home to eat. One of them was this BBQ sambal sotong. The whole sotong on a piece of giant satay stick. It's super yums!!!!!! The fragrance was very nice. Sigh too bad I don't know where else I can find a stall outside selling this.


We also bought nasi lemak home cos SX saw that it's only $1 per packet. The ah-pek asked us if we want buy 3 for $2. Then since it seems more worth it than only one packet, we said okay. On the cab ride home I told SX maybe the nasi lemak got no chicken wing inside cos so cheap only, then he said must be have one just that smaller size.

SX took one packet home and I took two packets home to share with my family. When we opened up the packet, we stared at it in dismay: "what?? Rice with chilli and ikan bilis with peanuts only?!!!! Not even an egg or a tiny fish??"

I called SX on his phone and complained to him. Hahaha.


15 minutes later, SX called me back:
"wahlao my one even worse lor, only rice with chilli!!! Even ikan bilis and peanuts also don't have!!"


LOL.
70cents for a packet of rice + chilli.

No comments :

Post a Comment